Thursday, January 3, 2013

Departure Songs: Music for Leaving Bangkok

One year later (exactly), and here we go again. I'm about to revisit a recurring theme, trade one great city for another, much as I've been doing for the last six years and nearly four months. (I don't call this blog "Theme for Great Cities" for nothing.)

I'm all packed and ready to fly... tomorrow. On this date in 2012, I was preparing to leave Bangkok tomorrow for what would end up being a two-month return to Melbourne, and now I'm about to embark on Bangkok-to-Melbourne one more time. How did Bangkok change me this time? I'm 10 months older, calmer and hopefully wiser, and even more of a procrastinator and commitment phobe than I was before. Last year I booked my Melbourne accommodations the morning of the day before my departure. This time, I waited until late afternoon, just in case I decided at the last minute to detour to Tel Aviv or somewhere else I've never been.

What else can I write that hasn't already been written (by me, right here)? So I'll mark my latest exit the best way I know how to mark any momentous moment -- with music.

"Leavin'" Shelby Lynne


"Leave Them All Behind" Ride


"The First to Leave" Elvis Costello and The Brodsky Quartet


"Leave It" Yes


"Leavin' on Your Mind" Patsy Cline


"Leave" R.E.M. 


"Exit" U2


"Gone" The Black Crowes


"Walkin' Away" Clint Black


"Away" Lydia Rhodes


No comments: